QUBIS is the technology transfer and commercialisation arm of Queen’s University. It has a track–record over four decades in creating disruptive start–ups, helping commercialise cutting–edge technology from the University’s research–base, and generating investor returns from. Notable successes include Kainos, Andor Technology and Fusion Antibodies, all of which have been listed on the London Stock Exchange. As the most active private seed investor in Northern Ireland, 75% of all Deep tech startups in the region in the last five years, have originated from QUBIS.
QUBIS has consistently been ranked number one for investor returns generation, out of 100+ UK universities, in the Octopus Ventures Entrepreneurial Impact Ranking. This report places QUBIS and Queen’s University ahead of peers such as the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge for converting research investment into investor returns. This success is due, in part to its strategic engagement in market–led entrepreneurship activities. This market–led approach has helped to accelerate the efficient and effective translation of scientific discoveries and research into startups and societal impact.
As part of an expansion of our existing and future activities, QUBIS is seeking to appoint a highly motivated and experienced Chief Operating Officer (COO) to lead day–to–day operations. This is a new position and the successful candidate will work closely with the CEO and the Board of Directors to ensure that QUBIS operates efficiently and effectively to deliver on its strategic goals and objectives.
The successful candidate must have, and your application including CV and cover letter should clearly demonstrate you have:
- A degree or relevant professional qualification or substantial relevant experience working in a similar role.
- Significant experience in a senior position in a complex organisation with a proven track record of developing and mobilising an effective team to deliver high–quality, business–focussed support.
- Strong stakeholder management experience demonstrating you have worked effectively to deliver results in a complex, environment.
- Strong financial acumen, with experience in budgeting, forecasting, and financial reporting.
- Excellent leadership skills with the ability to inspire confidence in this team and to promote the core values that underpin the ethos of the University.
The above are not an exhaustive list. For further information about the role including the essential and desirable criteria, please click on the Candidate Information link below.
Please note that you are also required to submit a relevant cover letter with your CV. Please be advised that this must be collated into one file for uploading.
At Queen’s our people are at the heart of everything we do. As a staff member you will become part of a vibrant organisational culture, which will provide you with the opportunity to achieve your full potential and enhance your career through a continuous focus on learning and development.
We offer an excellent employment package that includes:
- Great terms & conditions
- Pension schemes
- Flexible working by enabling you to design your working week in collaboration with your manager through a blend of remote and office working
- Family–friendly initiatives
- Career development opportunities
- Support for health & mental wellbeing
- Generous holiday entitlement of 8.4 weeks a year (made up of 23 days annual leave, 10 closure days and 9 bank holidays)
Queen’s University is committed to promoting equality of opportunity to all. We have created an inclusive culture by establishing staff networks such as iRise (Black, Asian, Minority Ethnic and International Staff Network) and PRISM (LGBTQ+) which help us progress equality.
We also subscribe to Equality Charter Marks such as the Diversity Charter Mark NI in addition to Athena Swan. For further information on our commitment to Equality, Diversity and Inclusion, please visit: www.qub.ac.uk/diversity; www.qub.ac.uk/qgi and www.qub.ac.uk/sites/StaffGateway/StaffNetworks/
Informal enquiries may be directed to Julie Garrett at email@example.com
Applications are via the QUB Careers Opportunity page